In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plymstock like this:
PLYMSTOCK, a village and a parish in Plympton, St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands in a valley, 1½ mile E of the mouth of Catwater harbour, 3 S S W of Plympton r. station, and 3 S E by E of Plymouth; and contains some good houses. The parish contains also the villages of Hooe, Elburton, Pomphlett, Staddiscombe, Turnchapel, and Oreston, the last of which has a post-office under Plymouth; and it includes parts of theshores of Catwater harbour and Plymouth sound. Acres, 3, 650; of which 100 are water. ...
Real property, £10, 685; of which £1, 837 are in quarries, and £35 in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 302; in 1861, 2, 997. Houses, 553. The property is subdivided. The manor of P. belonged to Childe the Hunter, passed to Tavistock abbey, and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. The manor of Staddiscombe belongs to E. R. P. Bastard, Esq. Goose-well estate belongs to Col. Harris; and much of the parish, to the Earl of Morley. The royalists made Plymstock their head-quarters during much of theiraction round Plymouth, in the wars of Charles I.; and had batteries at Oreston and Mount Batten, and a guard at Hooe. A watch-tower is now at Mount Batten; and a granite battery, a coastguard station, and a great reservoir for supplying water to the ships of the British navy, are at Bovisand. Vast quarries, which furnished much of the material for Plymouthbreakwater, are at Oreston; and beautiful veined marble, many curious fossils, and some interesting antiquitieshave been obtained there. Ship-building is carried onat Oreston and Turnchapel. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £188.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is later English, with a tower; and was restored in 1867, at a cost of more than £1, 700. The p. curacy of Hooe is a separate benefice. There are a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel at Turnchapel; Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and a school-chapel, at Oreston; and Brethren's chapels at Pomphlett and Plymstock. There are also a national school, alms-houses with £10 a year, and other charities £71.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Plymstock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Plymouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Plymstock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plymstock, in Plymouth and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Plymstock".