Place:


Clayhanger  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayhanger like this:

CLAYHANGER, or Cleyhanger, a parish in Tiverton district, Devon; at the boundary with Somerset, 4¾ miles E by N of Bampton, and 9 NNE of Tiverton r. station. It has a post office under Tiverton. Acres, 2, 083. Real property, £2, 035. Pop., 274. Houses, 54. The property is much subdivided. Here was a preceptory of the Knights' Templars. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £273. Patron, the Rev. W. M. Harrison. The church is a very ancient edifice, of nave and chancel, with large western tower, and has carved oaken seats and a carved screen.

Clayhanger through time

Clayhanger is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clayhanger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayhanger in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2736

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clayhanger ".