Place:


Dowland  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dowland like this:

DOWLAND, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; near the river Torridge, 5½ miles NNE of Hatherleigh, and 8 W of Eggesford r. station. Post town, Dolton, North Devon. Acres, 1, 735. Real property, £1, 141. Pop., 205. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter-Value, £76.* Patron, Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart. The church is old, and has a square tower.

Dowland through time

Dowland is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dowland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dowland, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2735

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dowland ".