Place:


West Drayton  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Drayton like this:

DRAYTON (West), a parish in Uxbridge district, Middlesex; on the river Colne, the Grand Junction canal, and the Great Western railway, at the boundary with Bucks, 3 miles S of Uxbridge. It has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Uxbridge. Acres, 850. Real property, £4, 844. ...


Pop., 951. Houses, 179. The manor belonged to the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls; was given by Henry VIII. to the Pagets; and passed to the De Burghs. Much of the land is disposed in market and fruit gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; and, till 1868, was annexed to Harmondsworth. Value and patron, not reported. The church is a Norman structure, with an embattled tower; and has an octagonal figured font, and some monuments. There are a national school, and charities £18.

West Drayton through time

West Drayton is now part of Hillingdon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hillingdon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Drayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Drayton, in Hillingdon and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2730

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Drayton ".