Place:


Kingswood  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingswood like this:

KINGSWOOD, a liberty in Ewell parish, and a chapelry partly also in Banstead parish, Surrey. The liberty is a detached part of Ewell; lies 2¾ miles NW of Merstham r. station, and 3½ N by W of Reigate; and has a post office under Epsom. Acres, 1,811. Real property, £1, 971. Pop., 273. ...


Houses, 58. The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Pop., 838. Houses, 165. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £190.* Patron, Thomas Alcock, Esq. The church is recent, in lieu of an old one; was built by T. Alcock, Esq., at a cost of £6, 000; and is in the decorated English style and cruciform, with central embattled tower and spire. There is a national school.

Kingswood through time

Kingswood is now part of Reigate and Banstead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Reigate and Banstead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingswood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingswood, in Reigate and Banstead and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2713

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingswood ".