Place:


Braal  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Braal like this:

Braal or Brawl, an ancient castle in Halkirk parish, Caithness, on the river Thurso, 6½ miles S by E of Thurso town. It probably was a residence of Harold, Earl of Caithness (d. 1206), and of the Sinclairs; but tradition falsely makes it a palace of the Bishops of Caithness and Sutherland. ...


It comprises two distinct buildings, belonging to different eras of architecture. The most ancient one is a tower 39 feet long, 36 wide, and still 35 high, with walls of 9 feet thickness, and a fosse on the NW side, 6 feet in depth and about 20 in width. The other building is now entirely ruinous; seems to have been more spacious and elegant; is now represented by only a ground floor, 100 feet long by 50 wide, with a front wall from 12 to 15 feet high; and probably never was carried above the first story. An extensive garden adjoins the castle, is by far the most ancient in the county, and belongs to the family of Ulbster.

Additional information about this locality is available for Halkirk

Braal through time

Braal is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Braal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braal, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27072

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Braal ".