Place:


Calder  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Calder like this:

Calder, a hamlet and a loch of NW Caithness. The hamlet, to the E of the lake, is 6½ miles SSW of Thurso, under which it has a post office; whilst a public school at it, with accommodation for 120 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 43, and a grant of £59,3s. 6d. The loc ...


h, lying mainly in Halkirk, but partly in Reay parish, at 205 feet above sea-level, has an extreme length and breadth of 23/8 miles and 7½ furlongs; presents a pleasing appearance from its striking contrast to the mossy and heathy lands which surround it; and contains abundance of good trout and little char.

Additional information about this locality is available for Halkirk

Calder through time

Calder is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calder itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calder, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27031

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calder ".