Place:


Chatelherault  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Chatelherault like this:

Chatelherault, a summer-house of the Duke of Hamilton, in Hamilton parish, Lanarkshire, on an eminence in the ravine of the river Avon, opposite Cadzow Castle. Built in 1730 after designs by the elder Adam, it takes its name from the French dukedom of Chatelherault in Poitou, conferred in 1550, with the town and palace thereof, and with a yearly revenue of 30,000 livres, on the regent, James Hamilton, second Earl of Arran. ...


It is partly occupied by the Duke's head gamekeeper; its walls are adorned with beautiful wood-carving and moulding in the style of Louis XIV.; and it displays a fantastic front, with four square turrets all in a line, and with florid pinnacles.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hamilton

Chatelherault through time

Chatelherault is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chatelherault itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chatelherault in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27026

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chatelherault ".