Place:


Little Eaton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Eaton like this:

EATON (Little), a chapelry in St. Alkmund parish, Derbyshire; on the Little Eaton canal, and on the Derby and Ripley railway, 3¾ miles NNE of Derby. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Derby. Acres, 490. Real property, £2, 341; of which £80 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 775. - Houses, 169. Little Eaton House is the seat of J. Tempest, Esq. Little Eaton Canal joins the Derby canal. There are two paper-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of St. Alkmund. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1869. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school.

Little Eaton through time

Little Eaton is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Eaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Eaton, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2700

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Eaton ".