Place:


Broadwoodwidger  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broadwoodwidger like this:

BROADWOOD-WIDGER, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Holsworthy, Devon. The village stands on the acclivity of a hill, 6 miles NE by E of Launceston r. station, and 11 NNW of Tavistock. The parish comprises 8,780 acres; and its Post Town is Launceston. Real property, £4,343. ...


Pop., 845. Houses, 156. The property is divided among a few. About 1,500 acres are open moorland. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Week-St. Germans, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £148. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is an old edifice, much dilapidated; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians.-The subdistrict contains four parishes, and part of another. Acres, 22,487. Pop. in 1851, 2,461. Houses, 438.

Broadwoodwidger through time

Broadwoodwidger is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broadwoodwidger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broadwoodwidger, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2695

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broadwoodwidger ".