In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Smeaton like this:
Smeaton, a mansion of 1790, in Prestonkirk parish, Haddingtonshire, 1½ mile N of East Linton. It is interesting as containing several relics of Mary Queen of Scots-viz., an autograph letter, an altar cloth of her embroidering, a comb, a black satin body, etc. In 1538 Sir Patrick Hepburn of Wauchton gave half the lands of Smeaton and all Smeaton-Crux to his second son, Adam, whose last male descendant was succeeded in 1764 by his nephew, George Buchan of Letham. He was created a baronet in 1815; and his grandson, Sir Thomas Buchan Hepburn, third Bart. (b. 1804; suc. 1833), holds 2772 acres in the shire, valued at £8513 per annum.Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863. See J. Small's Castles and Mansions of the Lothians (Edinb. 1883).
Additional information about this locality is available for Prestonkirk
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Smeaton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lothian. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Smeaton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smeaton in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Smeaton".