Place:


Wear  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wear like this:

WEAR (The), a river of Durham; rising near Killhope-Cross, adjacent to the boundary with Cumberland; running east-by-southward, past Weardale-St. John, Stanhope, Wolsingham, and Witton-le-Wear, to Bishop-Auckland; and going thence north-eastward, past Durham and Chester-le-Street, to the sea at Sunderland. It has a total course of about 60 miles; and is navigable for barges up to Durham.

Wear through time

Wear is now part of Chester le Street district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester le Street has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wear itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wear, in Chester le Street and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26910

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wear ".