Place:


Biggin  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Biggin like this:

BIGGIN, a township and a chapelry in Ashborne district, Derby. The township is in Wirksworth parish; and lies near the Cromford and High Park railway, 7½ miles SW of Bakewell r. station. Acres, 595. Real property, £1,153. Pop., 133. Houses, 28. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Post Town, Ashborne. Pop., 399. Houses, 84. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value £40.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is modern. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels and a national school.

Biggin through time

Biggin is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Biggin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Biggin in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2686

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Biggin ".