Place:


Auld Wick  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auld Wick like this:

Auld Wick Castle, an old baronial fortalice in Wick parish, Caithness, surmounting a dismal chasm in cliffs at the S side of the entrance of Wick Bay, 1¾ mile SE of Wick. It belonged, in the beginning of the 14th century, to Sir Reginald de Cheyne, passed to the Oliphants, the Earls of Caithness, the Dunbars, and Lord Duffus; is now dismantled and ruinous; forms an excellent landmark to mariners, and is commonly called by them ` the Aul' Man o' Wick. '

Additional information about this locality is available for Wick

Auld Wick through time

Auld Wick is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Auld Wick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auld Wick, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26832

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Auld Wick ".