Place:


Langwell  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Langwell like this:

Langwell, the Scottish seat of the Duke of Portland, in Latheron parish, S Caithness, on a green eminence between confluent Langwell and Berriedale Waters, ¾ mile W of Berriedale. The estate was purchased by Sir John Sinclair in 1788 for £7000, by James Horne, Esq., in 1813 for £40,000, and by the fifth Duke in 1860 for £90,000, this enormous rise in value being due to the improvements carried out both by Sir John Sinclair and Mr Horne. ...


By the Duke nearly all the property was converted into deer-forest. His cousin, John William Arthur Charles James Cavendish Bentinck, sixth Duke since 1716 (b. 1857; suc. 1879), holds 81, 605 acres in the shire, valued at £7902 per annum. See Latheron.—Ord. Sur., svh. 110, 1877.

Additional information about this locality is available for Latheron

Langwell through time

Langwell is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langwell, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26831

Date accessed: 23rd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langwell ".