In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tichborne like this:
TITCHBORNE, or Tichborne, a parish, with a village, in Alresford district, Hants; 2 miles SS W of Alresford r. station. It has a post-office under Alresford. Acres, 3,060. Rated property, £2,282. Pop., 308. Houses, 67. T. House belongs to Sir J. F. Titchborne, Bart.; and stands near the site of a castle of the Titchbornes, built in the time of Henry II.,-successor a of still more ancient residence of the Titchbornes. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Cheriton. The church has an ear Norman chancel. A Roman Catholic chapel is at T. House.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tichborne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Winchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tichborne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tichborne, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tichborne".