Place:


Cliff Bridge  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cliff Bridge like this:

CLIFF-BRIDGE, a village in Monk-Bretton township, Roystone parish, W. R. Yorkshire: 1 mile NE of Barnesley.

The location is that marked as "Cliffe Bridge" on the "England - Yorkshire: 274" sheet of the Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map of 1855 (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55145&sheetid=9599&ox=4446&oy=1308&zm=1&czm=1&x=496&y=304, date accessed 23 July 2012). The name "Cliff Wood Bridge" appears on our First Series one-inch map at the same location. Additional information about this locality is available for Monk Bretton

Cliff Bridge through time

Cliff Bridge is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cliff Bridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cliff Bridge, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26618

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cliff Bridge ".