Place:


Ashill  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashill like this:

ASHILL, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; near the river Stoke, 5 miles S of Dunham r. station, and 6 SE of Swaffham. It has a post office under Thetford. Acres, 2,990. Real property, £5,260. Pop., 696. Houses, 151. The property is divided among a few. The manor was held by the Hastingses, on the tenure of serving the king's linen at the coronation. ...


Part of the land is common; and some points command a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £850.* Patron, the Rev. B. Edwards. The church is later English, has a flint tower, and is good Charities, £36 and 30 acres of allotment.

Ashill through time

Ashill is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashill, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2652

Date accessed: 16th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashill ".