Place:


Wootton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton like this:

WOOTTON-ST. LAWRENCE, a parish, with a village and three tythings, in Basingstoke district, Hants: 3½ miles W of Basingstoke r. station. It has a post-office under Basingstoke. Acres, 3,957. Real property, £4,767. Pop., 917. Houses, 192. The property is subdivided. Manydown House and Tangier Park are chief residences. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £271.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of W. The church was rebuilt and enlarged since 1863. The p. curacy of Ramsdale is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel and a parochial school.

Wootton through time

Wootton is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wootton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2650

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wootton ".