In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfairfechan like this:
LLANFAIRFECHAN, a village and a parish in Bangor district, Carnarvon. The village stands on the coast, adjacent to the Chester and Holyhead railway, under Penmaen-Mawr, 6½ miles E by N of Bangor; is a pretty place; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Bangor. The parish comprises 4,255 acres of land, and 2,266 of water. Real property, £2,822. Pop. in 1851,809; in 1861,1,199. Houses, 234. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of stone quarrying, the influx of summer visitors, and extensive improvements effected by J. ...
Platt, Esq. The property is much subdivided. Most of the water area is in the Laven sands. Penmaen-Mawr rises to the altitude of 1,545 feet; projects boldly to the shore; presented serious difficulties to the forming of the railway round its foot; and is crowned by the ancient British fort of Braich-y-Ddinas, with traces of circular uncemented stone walls about 12 feet thick, and traces also of cyttiau. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £430.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The parochial church is good; and there is a chapel of ease for service in English.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanfairfechan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanfairfechan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfairfechan, in Conwy and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanfairfechan".