Place:


Lynford  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lynford like this:

LYNFORD, a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey, 4¾ miles NNE of Brandon r. station, and 7½ NW by N of Thetford. Post town, Brandon. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £670. Pop., 95. Houses, 23. The property, with Lynford Hall, belongs to Mrs. Stephens. The Hall is a splendid mansion, in the Tudor style. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. The church was destroyed some centuries ago. Roman urns were found in 1720.

Lynford through time

Lynford is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lynford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lynford, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2648

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lynford ".