Place:


Croxton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croxton like this:

CROXTON, a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk; 2 miles N of Thetford town and r. station. It has a post office under Thetford. Acres, 4, 609. Real property, £3, 157. Pop., 428. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. Croxton Hall is a chief residence. Croxton High Trees are seen at a great distance. ...


There is a large manufactory of coarse earthenware. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £98.* Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and has a curious flint tower and a Norman font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5.

Croxton through time

Croxton is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croxton, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2638

Date accessed: 20th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croxton ".