Place:


Great Cressingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Cressingham like this:

CRESSINGHAM (Great), a parish in Swaff ham district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey, 4¼ miles W by N of Watton, and 6 SSE of Swaff ham r. station. It has a post office under Thetford. Acres, 2, 424. Real property, £3, 318. Pop., 530. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the Bishops of Thetford; and, toward the end of the 15th century, to the Jepsons. The manor-house is a structure of the latter date; retains some of its original parts and features; and is coated with tracery in terracotta. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Bodney, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £607.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a rude screen of German character, and three brasses; and is tolerable. A hermitage chapel formerly stood at Stone-close. A fair is held on the first Wednesday of Aug. There are a national school, and charities £45.

Great Cressingham through time

Great Cressingham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Cressingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Cressingham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2637

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Cressingham ".