In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described German like this:
KIRK-GERMAN, a parish in the W of the Isle of Man; containing the town of Peel, and extending eastward thence to the mountains of Greelah and SlieuBoye. Post town, Peel, under Douglas, Isle of Man. Length and breadth, each about 6 miles. Pop. in 1851, 4, 510; in 1861, 4, 772. Houses, 780. Pop., exclusive of Peel, in 1851, 2, 168; in 1861, 1, 924. Houses, 348. The mountains in the E have altitudes of 1, 382 and 1, 159 feet; and the chief features thence to Peel are lines of glen and vale, converging at Tynwald Hill, and noticed in our article John's (ST.). There are a tumulus, an object called the Giant's fingers, and some old kiels or churches. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £160.*-Patron, the Bishop of Sodor and Man. The p. curacies of Cronk-y-Voddee and St. John are separate benefices.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of German, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "German".