In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitwell like this:
WHITWELL, a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk; 1 mile SSW of Reepham, and 7 E of Elmham r. station. Post town, Reepham, under Norwich. Acres, 1,511. Real property, £3,082. Pop., 487. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to J. Collyer, Esq. W. Hall is the seat of R. Leamon, Esq. There are two large tanneries. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Hackford. The church is old but good. Charities, £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Broadland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitwell, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitwell".