In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ballaugh like this:
BALLAUGH, or Kirk-Ballagh, a village and a parish in the Isle of Man. The village stands on the W coast, 7 miles W of Ramsey.; is watered by a small stream descending from Snawfell; straggles upward from the shore over a space of nearly 2 miles; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Ballangh, under Douglas. The parish includes Ballamoor, and has marl-pits and several warrens. Bones and horns of the great Irish ell have been found in the marl-pits: and a skeleton of one Was sent hence to the Hunterian museum at the university of Glasgow. ...
Pop., 1,228. Houses, 266. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £325.* Patron, the Crown. The old church stands on the shore, and was recently well restored; and a beautifully carved Runic cross is in the churchyard. A new church, built in the early part of the present century, stands fully a mile up the streamlet.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ballaugh, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ballaugh".