Place:


Redenhall  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redenhall like this:

REDENHALL, a parish in Depwade district, Norfolk; on the river Waveney, and on the Waveney Valley railway, at the boundary with Suffolk, 1¾ mile E N E of Harleston r. station. It contains the town of Harleston, which has a head post-office. Acres, with Wortwell, 3, 714. Real property of R. ...


alone, £7, 543. Pop., 1, 736. Houses, 399. Pop., exclusive of Harleston, 434. Houses, 84. The manors of Redenhall, Hawkers, Holbrook, and Coldham belong to Mrs. Holmes; and that of Harleston belongs to the Duke of Norfolk. Gawdy Hall was the seat of the Gawdy family; passed to the Wogans; and is now the seat of Mrs. Holmes. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Harleston, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1,005.* Patron, the Duke of Norfolk at the nomination of the Bishop of Norwich. The church was rebuilt by Thomas of Brotherton, Duke of Norfolk; was restored in 1858; has a fine tower; and contains monuments of the Gawdy family. See Harleston.

Redenhall through time

Redenhall is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Redenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redenhall in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2618

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Redenhall ".