Place:


Withiel  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withiel like this:

WITHIEL, a parish in Bodmin district, Cornwall; 7 miles W by N of Bodmin-Road r. station. It has a post-office under Bodmin. Acres, 3,005. Real property, £2,633; of which £50 are in mines. Pop., 367. Houses, 80. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Berneves; and belonged, for several centuries, to Bodmin priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Valoe, £324.* Patron, Sir R. R. Vyvyan, Bart. The church was repaired in 1831. There are a national school, and a private charity for ten house holders.

Withiel through time

Withiel is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withiel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withiel in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2614

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Withiel ".