Place:


Stanley  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanley like this:

STANLEY, a tything, conjoint with Studley, in Chippenham parish, Wilts; 2 miles E of Chippenham. Real property, £3,438. Pop., 119. Roman coins and pavements have been found; and traces exist of a Cistertian priory, removed hither, in 1154, from Quarr in the Isle of Wight.

Additional information about this locality is available for Bremhill

Stanley through time

Stanley is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanley in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26073

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanley ".