Place:


Bishops Clyst  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Clyst like this:

BISHOPS-CLIST, a locality in Clist-St. Mary parish, Devon; 2½ miles NNE of Topsham, with a post office under Exeter. It was anciently the site of the seat of the Bishops of Exeter, and of an hospital founded by Bishop Stapleton.

Additional information about this locality is available for Clyst St Mary

Bishops Clyst through time

Bishops Clyst is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishops Clyst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Clyst in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26058

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishops Clyst ".