Place:


St John in the Vale  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St John in the Vale like this:

JOHN'S-IN-THE-VALE (ST.), a chapelry in St. John-Castlerigg and Wythburn township, Crossthwaite parish, Cumberland; 2¼ miles SE of Keswick r. station. Post town, Keswick, under Windermere. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £63. * Patron, alternately the Earl of Lonsdale and Landowners.

Additional information about this locality is available for Crosthwaite

St John in the Vale through time

St John in the Vale is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St John in the Vale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St John in the Vale, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26057

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St John in the Vale ".