Place:


Hilton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:

HILTON, or Helton-Bacon, a township in Appleby St. Michael parish, Westmoreland; on an affluent of the river Eden, 3¼ miles E of Appleby. Acres, 4, 182. Real property, with Murton, £2, 028; of which £193 are in mines and £14 in quarries. Pop., 253. Houses, 53. The manor belonged formerly to the Viponts, the Bacons, and the Heltons; and belongs now to the Lowthers. Much of the surface is upland, and includes Hilton fell. Lead ore is mined.

Additional information about this locality is available for Murton

Hilton through time

Hilton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26017

Date accessed: 25th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilton ".