Place:


Newton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; 1¼ mile S E of Harston r. station, and 6 S by W of Cambridge. It has a post-office under Cambridge. Acres, 984. Real property, £1, 927. Pop., 216. Houses, 47. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Ely; and the manor-house is occupied by a farmer. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Hauxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church is ancient; was restored in 1851; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel-with a tower; and contains an old hexagonal font. There is an endowed school.

Newton through time

Newton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2595

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton ".