Place:


Scotby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scotby like this:

SCOTBY, a township-chapelry in Wetheral parish, Cumberland; on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 2½ miles E of Carlisle. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Carlisle. Acres, 1, 672. Real property, £4, 282. Pop., 520. Houses, 113. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £67. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there are a Quakers' chapel and a village school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Wetheral

Scotby through time

Scotby is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scotby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scotby, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25943

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scotby ".