Place:


Hawkesdale  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkesdale like this:

HAWKESDALE, a township in Dalston parish, Cumberland; near the river Caldew, 6½ miles SSW of Carlisle. Real property, £4, 668. Pop., 336. Houses, 82. Rose Castle here is the residence of the Bishop of Carlisle; and Hawkesdale Hall belonged to Nicholson, the antiquary, and passed to the Wattses.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dalston

Hawkesdale through time

Hawkesdale is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawkesdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkesdale, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25911

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawkesdale ".