Place:


Highbridge  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Highbridge like this:

HIGHBRIDGE, a hamlet and a chapelry in Burnham parish, Somerset. The hamlet lies on the river Brue, and on the Bristol and Exeter railway, at the junction of the Glastonbury railway, 6½ miles N of Bridgewater; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office† under Bridgewater. ...


It became a seat of considerable trade after the opening of the railway; acquired great increase of houses, with shops and inns; and has now a large hotel, a commodious market house, and a well attended market, for country produce and cattle, on the first Monday of every month. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 762. Houses, 174. Brickmaking is largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £193. Patrons, Mr. and Mrs. Luttrell, of Badgeworth Court. The church is recent; was erected at the expense of Mrs. Luttrell; and is handsome and spacious.

Highbridge through time

Highbridge is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Highbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Highbridge, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/259

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Highbridge ".