Place:


Sandwith  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandwith like this:

SANDWITH, a village and a township in St. Bees parish, Cumberland. The village stands on the coast, 2 miles S by W of Whitehaven; and has a post-office under Whitehaven. The township comprises 1, 344 acres ofland and 62 of water. Real property, £2, 408; of which £63 are in quarries. Pop., 333. Houses, 74.

Sandwith through time

Sandwith is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandwith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandwith, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2586

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandwith ".