In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holmside like this:
HOLMSIDE, a chapelry in Lanchester parish, Durhamshire; near the Stanhope railway, 6¾ miles NW of Durham. Acres, 2, 860. Real property, £6, 565; of which £4, 628 are in mines. Pop., 1, 048. Houses, 213. The manor belongs to the Wilkinsons. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £200. A new church was founded in 1869.
Additional information about this locality is available for Edmondsley
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holmside has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derwentside. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holmside and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holmside, in Derwentside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holmside".