Place:


Oulton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oulton like this:

OULTON, a township, with a village, in Wigton parish, Cumberland; near an affluent of the river Wampool, 2 miles N N W of Wigton. Real property, £2, 958. Pop., 416. Houses, 92. A number of the inhabitantsare employed in neighbouring cotton mills and dye-works. There is a Baptist chapel.

Oulton through time

Oulton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oulton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2584

Date accessed: 19th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oulton ".