Place:


Carlton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton like this:

CARLTON-CUM-WILLINGHAM, a parish in Linton district, Cambridge; on the verge of the county, 4¼ miles ESE of Six-Mile-Bottom r. station, and 7½ S of Newmarket. It has a post office, of the name of Carlton, under Newmarket. Acres, 2,200. Real property, £3,102. Pop., 402. Houses, 87. ...


The property is divided among a few. Part of the land is common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £287.* Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. W. S. P. Wilder. The church is old but good; and has a monument of Sir T. Elliot, author of a Latin Dictionary and other works. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Carlton through time

Carlton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2582

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton ".