In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Fordington like this:
FORDINGTON (West), a chapelry in Fordington parish, Dorchester district, Dorset; in the western vicinity of Dorchester town and r. station. Post town, Dorchester. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Pop., 1, 059. Houses, 113. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Fordington.
"Christ Church was built in 1846 next to the old Royal Horse Artillery Barracks which were to the North of Poundbury Road with a large frontage stretching from just past where the car park is today up to the Railway Line. On the South side of Poundbury Road was the Infantry Barracks which still exist today and now house the Dorset History Centre. The church with its adjoining vicarage was to the east side of the RHA Barracks fronting onto "The Grove" (now the B3147)." (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fordingtondorset/Files/WFordingtonHistoryChristchurch.html, accessed 22 Sept 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Dorchester
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Fordington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Fordington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Fordington in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Fordington".