Place:


Alvaston  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvaston like this:

ALVASTON, a township-chapelry in St. Michael parish, Derby; on the Derwent river, near the Midland railway, 3 miles SE of Derby. It has a post office under Derby. Acres, 870. Rated property, £2,930. Pop., 558. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £116. Patrons, the parishioners. The church was rebuilt in 1856. There are Presbyterian and Wesleyan chapels, and a church school.

Alvaston through time

Alvaston is now part of Derby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alvaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvaston, in Derby and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/257

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alvaston ".