Place:


Wibsey  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wibsey like this:

WIBSEY, a village and a chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SSW of Bradford r. station; and has horse fairs on 5 Oct. and 25 Nov. The chapelry includes Wibsey-Bankfoot and Wibsey-Slack hamlets; the former of which has a post-office under Bradford, Yorkshire. Pop., not separately returned. Most of the inhabitants are employed in mines, iron-works, foundries, and worsted mills. The living*is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £275. Patron, the Vicar of Bradford. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Bradford

Wibsey through time

Wibsey is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wibsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wibsey, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25683

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wibsey ".