Place:


Holliscroft  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holliscroft like this:

HOLLISCROFT, a chapelry in Sheffield parish, and within Sheffield borough, W. R. Yorkshire. It was constituted in 1846; and its post town is Sheffield. Pop. in 1861, 6, 229. Houses, 1, 257. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Archbishop. A new church was built in 1861, at a cost of £3, 500; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and vestry.

The location is that of the former St Luke's church, Hollis Croft, on the corner of Solly Street and Garden Street in central Sheffield; the church closed in 1938 and was subsequently demolished (see http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=694495, accessed 17 Oct 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Sheffield

Holliscroft through time

Holliscroft is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holliscroft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holliscroft, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25476

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holliscroft ".