Place:


Helme  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Helme like this:

HELME, a chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile NE of Meltham, and 2¾ WSW of Honley r. station. It was constituted in 1858; and its post town is Meltham, under Huddersfield. Pop., 787. Houses, 149. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patrons, W. Brook, Esq., and the Vicar of Almondbury. The church was built in 1859; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire.

Additional information about this locality is available for Meltham

Helme through time

Helme is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Helme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helme, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25471

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Helme ".