Place:


Gawber  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gawber like this:

GAWBER, a hamlet and a chapelry in Darton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet is in Barugh township; lies near Darton r. station, 2 miles NW of Barnesley; and has a post office under Barnesley. The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Rated property, £1, 370. Pop., 1, 421. Houses, 282. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £113.* Patron, the Vicar of Darton. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Barugh

Gawber through time

Gawber is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gawber itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gawber, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25457

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gawber ".