Place:


Elsecar  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsecar like this:

ELSECAR, a hamlet and a chapelry in Wath-upon-Dearne parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet is in the township of Brampton-Bierlow; lies 2¼ miles SSW of Wombwell r. station, and 5 ½ SF of Barnesley; and has a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1844. Rated property, £4, 500. Pop., 1, 912. Houses, 353. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, not reported.* Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hoyland Nether

Elsecar through time

Elsecar is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elsecar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsecar, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25448

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elsecar ".