Place:


Cowick  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowick like this:

COWICK, a township-chapelry in Snaith parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Dutch river and the Goole canal, adjacent to the Goole railway, 1½ mile SE of Snaith. It includes the hamlet of East Cowick, which has a post office under Selby; also the hamlets of West Cowick, Greenland, and Newbridge. Acres, 5, 725. Pop., 849. Houses, 199. Cowick Hall is the seat of Viscount Downe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £160.* Patron, Viscount Downe. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £21.

Additional information about this locality is available for Snaith

Cowick through time

Cowick is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowick, in East Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25428

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowick ".