Place:


Chapeltown  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chapeltown like this:

CHAPELTOWN, a chapelry in Ecclesfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the Sheffield and Barnesley railway, 7 miles N of Sheffield. It has a post office‡ under Sheffield, and a station, jointly with Thorncliffe, on the railway. It was constituted in 1844. Pop., 4,063. Houses, 797. Many of the inhabitants are colliers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1860. There are three dissenting chapels, two public schools, and endowed alms-houses with £130 a year.

Additional information about this locality is available for Ecclesfield

Chapeltown through time

Chapeltown is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chapeltown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chapeltown, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25425

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chapeltown ".