In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cholesbury like this:
CHOULESBURY, or Cholesbury, a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks; on the verge of the county, 3 miles S of Tring, and 3¾ SW of Tring r. station. It has a post office under Tring. Acres, 176. Real property, £438. Pop., 105. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. An ancient moated camp here, called Bury-Banks, is about a mile in circuit. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £41.* Patrons, Trustees. The church stands within the camp, and is good. Charities, £122.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cholesbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chiltern. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cholesbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cholesbury, in Chiltern and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cholesbury".